20:29 (GMT +7) - Tuesday 23/10/2018

Vietnam Today

Vietnam second in relationship fulfillment

Released at: 11:31, 08/01/2018

Vietnam second in relationship fulfillment

Photo: Khanh Chi (VET)

Prudential releases survey on relationships in Asia.

by Hong Nhung

Vietnam has moved down to second place from first in 2016 among nine markets in Asia surveyed on relationship satisfaction, according to the Prudential Relationship Index (PRI) report for 2017.

The survey was conducted a year after its inaugural report from Prudential with the aim of gaining a deeper understanding of personal relationships in the region. The study reveals insights on the key attributes of healthy relationships and how they could be disrupted by factors such as money and technology.

Vietnam has a PRI of 79/100; a four-point decline from the previous year, indicating that relationships fulfil 79 per cent of people’s needs and expectations, leaving a 21 per cent relationship gap.

“We are happy to report that Vietnam continues to be among the Top 2 markets in the region for relationship fulfilment,” said Mr. Stephen James Clark, CEO of Prudential Vietnam. “Healthy relationships impact people’s happiness, longevity, and well-being. The PRI findings reveal the major factors contributing to relationship satisfaction in Vietnam, as well as areas in need of greater communication and progress such as health and financial security.”

People in Vietnam are increasingly conscious about the effect of technology on their lives and personal relationships. Sixty-two per cent believe that time spent on smartphones has a negative impact on their dynamics with the family - the highest proportion in all the countries surveyed.

Health is another concern in Vietnam. When asked what they would like to change in their partners, 53 per cent would like their partners to be healthier, followed by being more responsible (43 per cent). Sixty per cent of Vietnamese admit to worrying about their physical health when they are old, while 46 per cent are concerned about staying mentally agile. More immediately, 30 per cent believe their health will worsen in the next five years.

Children are the leading cause of arguments between Vietnamese couples (62 per cent) - the highest rate in the region, followed by money issues (51 per cent). Forty-one per cent of parents say the cost of bringing up children has a big impact on their relationship.

“The survey shows that people in Vietnam are extremely concerned about the well-being of their children,” said Mr. Clark. “Almost all Vietnamese parents (99 per cent) worry about their children’s future, with 59 per cent saying that supporting their children’s education is their top financial priority. At Prudential, we provide comprehensive financial products and services that empower our customers in achieving their financial goals.”

More than half of respondents in Vietnam (53 per cent) are not confident they will have enough savings to live until the age of 80, while 60 per cent say saving for retirement is their key financial priority - the highest-ranked goal in Vietnam.

Eighty-two per cent of respondents expect to rely on their personal savings and assets to support themselves. Unlike most other markets in Asia, 44 per cent of people in Vietnam expect their children to financially support them when they are old. However, 43 per cent worry about becoming a burden to the family in old age - the highest proportion in the region.

“The findings detail the top-of-mind concerns in Vietnam, providing us with an in-depth understanding of our customers and the things that matter most to them - their personal relationships,” Mr. Clark said. “These insights reinforce our commitment to enhancing our customers’ overall quality of life by providing products and services that directly address their needs, from health and medical to savings and life protection.”

User comment (0)

Send comment