20:34 (GMT +7) - Thursday 14/12/2017

Vietnam Today

Government reaffirms political will to fight corruption

Released at: 10:14, 04/10/2017

Government reaffirms political will to fight corruption

Minister Mai Tien Dung. Photo: VGP

Minister of Government Office tells press conference that recent crackdown on corruption will continue.

by Quang Huy

Vietnam’s leadership will continue to press ahead with the “no-holds-barred” crackdown on corruption that has ensnared scores of officials, a government minister said on the eve of a major meeting of senior Communist Party members this month.

Minister and Chairman of the Office of the Government Mai Tien Dung reiterated the political will from the Party and the government to fight corruption, at a press conference on October 3 following the monthly cabinet meeting.

His statement comes after a widening corruption crackdown that, most recently, saw leaders in central Da Nang city being accused of misconduct and violations.

Da Nang’s Chairman Huynh Duc Tho received a warning from the Communist Party last week after being held primarily accountable for land management violations in the city. Meanwhile, the city’s Party Chief Nguyen Xuan Anh will have to await a final verdict from the Politburo, the Party’s decision-making body, after being accused of flouting the Party’s democratic centralism principles by making multiple decisions without consulting others, in addition to personal misconduct.

The punishment facing the city’s two senior leaders will not affect the APEC Summit being held in the central city in November, Minister Dung said, adding that preparations have been calibrated and managed by senior leaders in Hanoi and are not intertwined with any action being taken against the leaders of the host city.

There must be “no mistakes” made during the course of the six-day summit, the government’s news portal quoted Minister of Foreign Affairs Pham Binh Minh as saying at a meeting of the APEC 2017 National Committee last month.

Da Nang has recently instructed government officials to cancel all overseas trips they have planned for the coming weeks to focus on preparations for the APEC Summit. Any overseas visits or study trips must be delayed until after November 15, but some exceptions will be made for trips that were approved before October and those deemed “really necessary”, the city’s government said.

The new order also imposes restrictions on all future overseas trips. It said each delegation should include no more than ten officials and each trip should be limited to three countries, each for a maximum of three days. Officials will also be limited to two official overseas trips per year. Trips organized or sponsored by businesses must be strictly restricted, the city’s government said.

Considered the third most important city in Vietnam after Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang is preparing for a gathering of leaders from the 21-member economies of APEC on November 11 and 12. It will be the biggest international meeting ever hosted by the city, with the attendance of US President Donald Trump, China’s Xi Jinping, and Russia’s Vladimir Putin, among others.

User comment (0)

Send comment